Establishing a human microbiome model to study aging
Purpose of this Study
The research team is interested in how the human gut bacteria influence aging. Study participants will be asked to complete a health questionnaire, physical assessment, and provide a blood and stool sample. The health questionnaire, physical assessment, and blood sample will be done at the Barshop Research Clinical Research Unit, which is located at the UT Health San Antonio campus. Stool samples will be collected in the comfort of the participant’s home.
You may be able to join the study if:
- Male or female
- Age 65 and older
- You have at least 3 of the following:
- Walk slow
- Poor grip strength
- Low physical activity
- Involuntary weight loss
You may NOT qualify if:
- History of gastrointestinal surgery
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Have not taken in the last two months: antibiotics, probiotics, heartburn medications, laxative or diarrhea medications, anxiety or depression medications, or metformin
Duration of the Study:
This is 2-3 day study with 1 study visit.
- Medical and nutrition history
- Physical examination/assessment
- Blood tests
- Hand grip test
- Walking test
- Stool collection
UT Health San Antonio
Sam and Ann Barshop Institute for Longevity and Aging Studies
4939 Charles Katz Dr.
San Antonio, TX 78229
You may earn up to $50 for completing all study-related visits.
Kelly Reveles, PharmD, PhD
For more information or to volunteer in a study:
- Call (210) 567-8345
- If you prefer that we contact you, please fill out the form below.