Impact of Metformin on Immunity (Immune/Met Study)
Purpose of this Study
Our research team is conducting a study to examine how a medication can improve the immune system in older adults and if it can improve vaccine response to the pneumonia vaccine.
You may qualify if:
- 63-89 years old
You may NOT qualify if:
- Live in a nursing home or assisted living
- Currently take metformin
- Have diabetes
- Have a chronic renal diseases or renal failure
- You are using medications for diabetes
- Have received a vaccination for pneumonia at any time in the past
Duration of the Study:
This is a 12-week study with three (3) study visits.
- Medical history
- Physical examination/assessment
- Blood tests
- Receipt of pneumococcal vaccine
UT Medical Arts and Research Center (UT MARC)
8300 Floyd Curl Drive
San Antonio, TX 78229
Up to $200 is offered for the completion of this study.
Grace Lee, MD
For more information or to volunteer in a study:
- Call (210) 450-8097
- If you prefer that we contact you, please fill out the form below.