Metformin for Preventing Frailty in High Risk Older Adults
Purpose of this Study
The overall goal of this project is to determine whether metformin treatment prevents or reduces frailty in older adults who have pre-diabetes.
You may qualify if:
- Age 65 and older
- A non-smoker
- Borderline diabetes
- Living independently
You may NOT qualify if:
- Live in a nursing home or assisted living
- Have diabetes
- Have a chronic or disabling disease
- You are using medications for diabetes
Duration of the Study:
This is a two-year study with approximately 14 study visits. These visits will occur every 3-6 months.
- Physical examination/assessment
- Blood tests
- Oral Glucose Tolerance Test
- Body composition (DEXA)
- Urine and stool collection
- Muscle specimen (click for more details)
South Texas Veterans Health Care System
Audie L. Murphy Memorial Veterans Hospital
7400 Merton Minter Blvd.
San Antonio, TX 78229
All visits are conducted on the 7th floor at the at the Bartter Clinical Research Unit.
Up to $1,700 is offered for the completion of this study.
Sara Espinoza, MD, MSc
For more information or to volunteer in a study:
- Call (210) 450-0020
- If you prefer that we contact you, please fill out the form below.